Arthur D. Little supported a major mining equipment manufacturer to develop a global technology plan in order to sustain innovation and technology leadership.
With rapidly changing technologies, especially in the areas of energy efficiency, automation, and related to enabling deeper mines, the client needed to improve its understanding of key technologies and develop a technology strategy and plan for where and how to invest:
- What does the full technology map look like?
- How should be prioritized among these technologies for optimal competitiveness?
- How should the prioritized technologies be accessed
Arthur D. Little worked together closely with the technology planning function engaging the broader R&D and strategic marketing community through a series of workshops to determine the strategic positioning and priorities, map the technology landscape, articulate the technology strategy, including determining the most appropriate make/buy/collaborate strategy, and to detail the technology development projects needed to realize the strategy.
The work resulted in a comprehensive technology plan including:
- More than 500 technologies mapped and evaluated across multiple business units
- In-depth analysis and prioritization of most promising technologies, including retrieval strategy
- Link of technologies to product feature development
- Technology roadmap to provide an overview and define measures and activities to fulfill the strategic goals
- Building of internal capabilities to independently drive and develop technology planning activities